Important: “Shared Workbooks” is an older feature that allows you to collaborate on a workbook with multiple people. This feature has many limitations, and has been replaced by co-authoring. Excel co-authoring is available in Microsoft 365 Apps Excel desktop client and Excel for the Web for Microsoft 365 subscribers.
Open the workbook file you want to share in Excel 2019 and then click the Share button at the far right of the row with the Ribbon. If you’ve not yet saved the workbook on your OneDrive, a Share dialog box appears inviting you to upload the workbook file to OneDrive.
To see the files that others have shared with you:
- Open Word, Excel, or PowerPoint. If you already have a document or workbook open, select File.
- Scroll down and select the Shared with Me tab, or select Open > Shared with Me.
Can multiple users edit an Excel spreadsheet at the same time in Office 365?
You and your colleagues can open and work on the same Excel workbook. This is called co-authoring. When you co-author, you can see each other’s changes quickly—in a matter of seconds.
Set up a shared workbook
- Click the Review tab.
- Click Share Workbook in the Changes group.
- On the Editing tab, click to select the Allow changes by more than one user at the same time. …
- In the Save As dialog box, save the shared workbook on a network location where other users can gain access to it.
If you are trying to co-author, the “locked” error can occur if the file uses a feature that is not supported by co-authoring. Ask the person who has the file open to do one or more of the following. The first thing to try is to turn off the Shared Workbook feature.
How do I enable editing in Excel?
Enable or disable Edit mode
Click File > Options > Advanced. , click Excel Options, and then click the Advanced category. Under Editing options, do one of the following: To enable Edit mode, select the Allow editing directly in cells check box.
Where is the editing tab in Excel?
you can click Menus tab to get back the classic style interface, and then you will find the Edit menu easily. Click the arrow next to the Tools; you may get the familiar functions in the drop down menu.
Co-authoring in SharePoint Server lets multiple users work on a document, at any time, without interfering with each other’s changes. … If you have SharePoint Server configured to use Office Web Apps Server, users can also co-author documents in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote Web Apps.
See whom a file or folder is shared with
- In your document library, select the file or folder.
- Above the list of files, select Share. The Send link window opens.
- If the item is currently shared with anyone, a Shared with list appears at the bottom of the Send link window.
To open and edit a file in the Office desktop app while in the Classic version of OneDrive or SharePoint:
- Select the file in OneDrive or SharePoint.
- Select the More icon , then select Open.
- Select Open in (app) (such as Open in Word).
Files you share in a channel are stored in your team’s SharePoint folder, which is found in the Files tab at the top of each channel. Files you share in a private or group chat are stored in your OneDrive for Business folder, which is found in the Files tab at the top of a chat.
Step 2: Share it
- If you uploaded the file, click the filename to open it. …
- Click the Edit in Excel button. …
- Click Open Microsoft Excel.
- When the file opens in the Excel program, you may see a yellow bar which says the file is in Protected View. …
- Click Share in the upper-right.
- Click Invite People.
Co-author a workbook
- Select Share.
- Upload your file to OneDrive, if you haven’t already.
- Set permissions and select Apply. …
- Add the names of who to share with, and an optional message.
- Select Send.
- Select the initials in the upper right to see who else is working on the file and where they are in the file.