Create a shared folder. From Virtual menu go to Devices->Shared Folders then add a new folder in the list, this folder should be the one in windows which you want to share with Ubuntu(Guest OS). Make this created folder auto-mount. Example -> Make a folder on Desktop with name Ubuntushare and add this folder.
Now, navigate to the folder that you want to share with Ubuntu, right-click on it and select “Properties”. On the “Sharing” tab, click the “Advanced Sharing” button. Check (select) the “Share this folder” option, and then click the “Permissions” button to proceed. Now, it’s time to set the permissions.
Share Ubuntu folder on SAMBA
- Open Ubuntu’s File Manager.
- Right-click on the folder that you want to share.
- Here we are sharing the Pictures folder of our Ubuntu 20.04 LTS PC.
- Select the Properties option.
- Click on the Local Network Share TAB.
- Select the box given in front of the option “Share this folder“.
How do I transfer files from Ubuntu to Windows?
Share Folders in Ubuntu 11.10
- When prompted to install Samba services, do it.
- After installing Samba services, click ‘Restart session’
- Then click ‘Create Share’ to complete the process.
- Open Terminal Replace USERNAME with your account name. …
- Type the Ubuntu computer name and the share name of the resource.
Ubuntu 10.04 host
- Create a folder on the Host computer (ubuntu) that you would like to share, for example ~/share.
- Boot the Guest operating system in VirtualBox.
- Select Devices -> Shared Folders…
- Choose the ‘Add’ button.
- Select ‘/home/<user>/share’ for Folder Path.
- Select ‘share’ for Folder Name.
How to share files between a Linux and Windows computer
- Open the Control Panel.
- Go to Network and Sharing Options.
- Go to Change Advanced Sharing Settings.
- Select Turn on Network Discovery and Turn on File and Print Sharing.
Can you access Windows files from Ubuntu?
Yes, just mount the windows partition from which you want to copy files. Drag and drop the files on to your Ubuntu desktop. That’s all. Now your windows partition should be mounted inside /media/windows directory.
View the shared folder. On Linux guests, shared folders appear under /mnt/hgfs. On Solaris guests, shared folders appear under /hgfs. To view shared folders on a Windows guest, see View Shared Folders in a Windows Guest.
To mount a Windows share on Ubuntu Linux, first you need to install the CIFS utilities package.
The commands above detailed below:
- mount -t cifs = file system type (protocol)
- username = username of Windows account.
- //WindowsPC_IP/ShareName = the Windows PC share name.
- /mnt/Windows_Share = the mount point on Ubuntu.
Choose the virtual machine and select Player > Manage > Virtual Machine Settings:
- Go to the Options tab and select the Shared Folders option:
- Under Folder sharing, choose a sharing option. …
- The Add Shared Folder Wizard opens. …
- Type the path on the host system to the directory you want to share and specify its name:
How to share folders between Windows and Ubuntu using VMware Player
- Create a folder in your Windows file system that you want to use as the share. …
- Power down the VM shutting down Ubuntu.
- Select your VM in VMware Player and click Edit virtual machine settings.
- In the Options tab click Shared Folders in the left hand pane.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the File Manager.
- Right-click the Public folder, then select Properties.
- Select Local Network Share.
- Select the Share this folder check box.
- When prompted, select Install service, then select Install.
- Enter your user password, then select Authenticate.